Monday, March 23, 2009

10 things...


(Thanks to Ali for her idea for this post "thanks ali!!!")


okay these are ten things i REALLY miss and ten things are REALLY enjoy about san juan, Argentina.





The MISS list:


1- Early dinners (my stomache hates eating at 11pm, going to bed at 12 and waking up at 5)

2- Milkshakes (A chocolate malt to be exact... so mom FYI, as soon as we get back we are heading STRAIGHT to a wendys)

3- The woods (A few trees in the center of the city definitely doesn´t qualify)

4- Scrambled eggs and REAL ketchup (... big breakfasts in general but especially scrambled eggs!)
5- Blonde people (that title sounds bad, I don´t miss blonde people necessarily in the sense that I´d like them to be here or anything, I will just now fully appreciate the one trait that brings millions of american girls together.)
6- Running with sadie and jessie (running circles around the park is quite boring, especially without two high maintenance running companions to occupy my time... ha ha)

7- Chapstick (either they don´t get chapped lips here or they just don´t care because my tube of Crazy Blu Razberry is going very fast and I have seen no farmacia that carries any sort of chapstick..grrrr..)

8- Dancing in my room (I tried, all I could do in my itty bitty room here is climb my feet up the wall and stand on my hands for a bit... it was lame)

9- REAL jeans (not EVERYone can squeeze their thighs into an ankle-loving pair of skinny jeans and still look good... much less move!?)

10- track.. (I honestly did NOT think I was going to miss track, but I really do, my body thinks its supposed to be extremely sore this time of year and it´s not sure what to do with itself without intervals..or the piere...or hills..or lovers lane......´sigh´)



EXTRAS NOT MENTIONED IN THE PREVIOUS LIST: Public education, freedom of religion, CHEWY!, my piano, our very speedy Mac Leopard, trucks (sigh), "real" boys (2x sigh), grass/dirt, my boots, Roman, cold-nights, walking barefoot (grrrrrrr...), Ceily Highberger!!!!





The LOVE list:


1- Asado! (This is an argentine version of a barbecue... Where various (edible) parts of the cow are placed in this very large wood and coal fired brick oven thing that´s actually just a hole in the side of the garden wall and are roasted... Soooo, Grandpa, I think I have a chore for you and mis padres?)

2- The City (Having never lived in a town with over 5,000 people the diversity here is really refreshing... and with over 400,000+ people, there´s always something going on worth seeing!)

3- BOLICHES!!! (... they come complete with the bouncers (who really do have the stereotypical mustaches!), and the people who "check your IDs" (he he he) )

4- Mate (A VERY traditional tea like drink.. green tea, so technically not tea but it´s actually very good. However, there´s a lot of etiquette that goes along with drinking it (no one told little white girl this!!!) and you have to be offered the mate, you can´t just take it.. it´s a sign of respect and friendship from the person who offered it to you.. When I first heard about it i actually thought it was a drug, like chewing coca leaves or some of that... but lucky for AFS Argentina its completely legal!)

5- Tomar Helado (going out for ice cream, this is good for me (i think), because they don´t keep ice cream in their homes it´s more of a treat to go out...it´s also REALLY good)

6- Independence (It´s not that I wasn´t independent before, in the U.S., (..ha ha), but living here gives me the sort of independence of really figuring things out for myself)

7- Spanish (because I could always have been placed in Germany, Arabia, Turkey, the Ukraine, Russia...)

8- The music (.. Blows my american iPod out of the water... It´s way more fun to dance to, listen to, everything!)

9- Bruno! (is the family dog, he has to be like a million years old, what he has left of teeth are these tiny little white stubs buried in his gums... But he´s a sweet heart and at ninety years old he thinks he´s still king of the streets)

10- Currency exchanges (Always a nice pick me up when you can withdraw 3.5x the cash that your accustomed to being able to spend... an inspiration for many a shopping trip!)


EXTRAS NOT MENTIONED PREVIOUSLY: Latino soap operas, very pretty gold crucifixes (everywhere), "al parque", chicos de futbol que MUY lindo (te he he)..etc











6 comments:

  1. "Chewy" smiled when he realized he'd made the list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tio Jimbo wants to know what is "fake" ketchup? Asado is awesome.
    Hey...are you in school?
    We are so excited - we finally figured out how to post to this blog...a first for us.
    You look (and sound) terrific. Chewy is probably getting spoiled rotten while you are away.
    Say hello to your Argentinian familia from your Colorado familia. Hugs! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. grrr.. I knew someone was gonna get me somehow!! "chewy" is my baby bro ali dear lol...

    ReplyDelete
  4. aw. chewy. i miss that boy.
    did you get another doggy?
    how is old saddie girl?

    ReplyDelete